Warning: ini_set() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php on line 23

Warning: ini_set() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php on line 23

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php:23) in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/staff/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php:23) in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/staff/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php:23) in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/staff/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php:23) in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/staff/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/combcon/public_html/operators/conf_global.php:23) in /home/combcon/public_html/operators/staff/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
SweetFX for Defiance - Total Installation Guide - Official - C.O.M.B Forums

Today's Events
There are no events happening today :'(
In-complete Clan-boost Goals
  • Skill boost

$30.20 will buy us a clan-wide 7% Skill boost for a month.

31% complete - $9.31 of this $30.20 goal reached.

• Reputation boost

$15.56 will buy us a clan-wide 7% Reputation boost for a month.

0% complete - $0.00 of this $15.56 goal reached.

• Loot boost

$30.20 will buy us a clan-wide 7% Loot boost for a month.

0% complete - $0.00 of this $30.20 goal reached.

Latest Donations
  • Guest%s's Photo
    Offline Donation ( 245.00 )

08 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

• Guest%s's Photo
    Offline Donation ( 230.00 )

24 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

• Guest%s's Photo
    Offline Donation ( 205.00 )

06 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

• Guest%s's Photo
    Offline Donation ( 205.00 )

14 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

• Guest%s's Photo
    Offline Donation ( $ 205.00 )

13 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Top Donors
Donation Statistics
Total Donation Amount - $9.31
Total Fees - $0.69
Total Goal Amount - $75.96

Still Needed - $65.96

Next Previous
New TS IP guys: 208.79.16.143:9988 - port is unchanged as you can see.

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

No shouts have been made in the Shoutbox, why don't you add one to get the Shoutbox started?

Photo

SweetFX for Defiance - Total Installation Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

proffrink

proffrink

Administrator

• Executive
  • 405 posts

post-1-0-39531100-1365360525.png

Many games (especially ones using such a dated engine as Defiance does) can benefit greatly from the shaders and anti-aliasing provided by SweetFX. At the cost of a small amount of resources, SweetFX can make your game look far better.

What?

SweetFX is a post-process shader injector - in short, it changes the appearance of items on your screen by fiddling with saturation, hue, applying subtle filters and refining the edges of geometrics in-game (anti-aliasing).

Users can tweak what filters and effects they use via a configuration file, but I'm not covering that here as it's not for new users. We'll just be setting up SweetFX with a very clean 'HD Shader' made for Defiance.

Performance

SweetFX typically knocks off between 2-4 frames per second - this is a minute compromise for anyone who has a competent gaming PC, but do bare this in mind if your computer does struggle to play Defiance.

Showcase

Here I'm using the Defiance-configured 'HD Shader' pack.

Left is normal Defiance / Right is with SweetFX 'HD Shader' pack

How to install SweetFX

1. Download everything we need:

2. Install SweetFX

• Navigate to C:\Users\<your PCs username>\AppData\Local\Defiance\live - this is where Defiance stores its core content and is where SweetFX needs to be
    • For people who play Defiance with Steam, yours might be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Defiance\live
    • If you have a 32-bit operating system, then it will be in 'Program Files', not 'Program Files (x86)'

1.png

• Note: You may need to 'Show Hidden Files/Folders' to see the 'AppData' folder as it does contain some stuff that Microsoft don't like you screwing around with - you can find this option within your Control Panel

• Drag and drop all the files and folders from the .7z (.zip) file that you downloaded at the start into your directory called 'live'

2.png

• Can't even open that SweetFX-1.4.7z file that you downloaded at the start? download and install Winrar (it's easy) then re-open the file. The screenshot above is using Winrar to 'unzip' that file we downloaded.

3. Configure SweetFX for Defiance

At this point you've actually installed SweetFX - congratulations! However, we do need to configure it for Defiance. This is much easier than it sounds.

There are a couple of different Defiance-specific 'configuration files' already out there for SweetFX - they define how SweetFX acts within your game, and thus what the end-result is on your screen. If you're new to all this, then I'd highly recommend using just the 'Defiance HD Shader' config - it's an all-round general 'polisher' and it's the one I currently use.

Or choose from one of these:

• Navigate to C:\Users\<your PCs username>\AppData\Local\Defiance\live again and open the file called 'SweetFX_settings.txt' with notepad

3.png

• Now, open up that .txt file, we just downloaded two steps ago. Press ctrl + A (to select all the text there), use ctrl + C (to copy all the text). Then go back to the configuration file we just opened up one step ago. Press ctrl + A again, but, after that, press ctrl + V (to paste over it all).
    • What you've just done is overwrite the default SweetFX shader config file with the 'Defiance HD Shader' settings. Good job - we're almost done.

4. Have fun

• Start up the game!

• Press 'scroll lock' in-game (located to the right hand side of the F-keys at the top of your keyboard and sometimes named 'scr lk') to turn SweetFX on and off - it defaults in the 'on position'
  • Press 'print screen' in-game (located to the left of 'scroll lock' and sometimed named 'prt sc') to take a screenshot*
    • SweetFX screenshots are not very compressed, so be careful as they can fill up diskspace fast if you take a lot of them
    • All screenshots are saved within C:\Users\<your PCs username>\AppData\Local\Defiance\live as .bmps (e.g. screenshot40456.bmp)

Fhaerron

Fhaerron

Advanced Member

• Operative
  • 164 posts

For people who play Defiance with Steam, you have to navigate to other folders .. ie:

C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Defiance\live

The rest is just as above just make sure you navigate to this instead.

If you have 32-bit OS it's just "Program files" (without the x86).

This also is Steams default target path for instal of games, if you have used a different path for games then use that instead.

proffrink

proffrink

Administrator

• Executive
  • 405 posts

I was under the impression that, because Defiance has its own updater, that it downloads to an external folder. My copy of Defiance is a Steam one, but it patched to the appdata folder anyway because it was there during the beta.

I'll add your bit, Fharron - thanks.

Fhaerron

Fhaerron

Advanced Member

• Operative
  • 164 posts

That might be it.

You can either download trough Trion them self or Steam..

Augmentizer

Augmentizer

• Operative
  • 26 posts

Guys! I wanted to share the best preset for defiance i was able to find. Of course it is a matter of taste, but i found most presets out there  improve something while breaking something else. Until i found this one. File attached (download, then overwrite existing SweetFX file, after keeping a backup copy just in case)

Don't forget to BACKUP your original sweetfx settings file in case you don't like this one. But after travelling throughout the map and using split-screen to compare in realtime, i can say that this is the preset to use!

If you got any better ones please share! Proff, if you try this one and you agree that it looks better than the one posted above with the instructions, then please update that link or add this one as additional preset. 

Also, don't forget that you MUST re-adjust your game brightness according to the usual in-game instructions, otherwise the preset might be too bright with your existing level of brightness.

Cheeeeeeersss :)

Attached Files

frozenballz

frozenballz

• Operative
  • 8 posts

screenshots? <_< 

Corex

Corex

• Operative
  • 3 posts

I would be a bit cautious using this though, or in any on-line game =) Looks a tad nicer though

proffrink

proffrink

Administrator

• Executive
  • 405 posts

I would be a bit cautious using this though, or in any on-line game =) Looks a tad nicer though

I wouldn't, because it's totally fine in any game what-so-ever.

Ezemodai

Ezemodai

• Operative
  • 17 posts

All depends on how strict Trion want to enforce their terms of use:

http://trionworlds.c...l/terms-of-use/

Specifically item A and G of the "Additional License Limitations" section.

Technically you are  modifying the game files as you're adding files to the game directory and it could be argued that you're modifying the game experience by altering the looks.

But yeah I seriously doubt that they will take action against SweetFX as it's post processing so all should be fine (think adjusting your monitor settings).

As I recall EVE Online at some point refused to start if there were extra files in it's install directory though so you never know..

/Eze

proffrink

proffrink

Administrator

• Executive
  • 405 posts

But they won't, because they're not a bunch of dumbarses

No game has ever intentionally banned for SweetFX - y'all motherfuckers are paranoid. Go install it.

zer0patches

zer0patches

• Operative
  • 13 posts

Nice find. I had never heard of SweetFX before but it definitely looks right up my alley.

I don't think I have ever signed a ToS I have not broken.  :ph34r:

zer0patches

zer0patches

• Operative
  • 13 posts

I must say the results are amazing. I did some tweaking. The original HD looks ok but way too much HDR. My toon was looking a little too orange. lol.

I reduced HDR, sharpness and AA threshhold (increases AA) and added 50% corner blending. I also upped vibrance a bit so it still pops a bit with the reduced HDR but the colors are more true to form. I also adjusted the contrast curves. Bloom I left alone since the settings already seemed spot on.

Anyways, some screenies and the config.

**Don't forget to adjust your gamma in game for best results, 3-4 bars seems to work well for me with this config. Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot4827.jpg
  • Screenshot6478.jpg
  • Screenshot6673.jpg
  • Screenshot14946.jpg

Attached Files

Xanderman

Xanderman

Advanced Member

• Operative
  • 43 posts

I was wondering do you need to keep updating sweet FX  and if so is it a simple download and replace method? Some of the screenshots really do make it look good. I am thinking of downloading this later. Is this the 1.4 version? Thanks.

proffrink

proffrink

Administrator

• Executive
  • 405 posts

Na, you don't need to keep updating it. I think he may be trying to add some additional functionality at some point, but it won't go 'out of date' or anything like that.

1.4 is the latest, yep.

Don't be confused by the configurator though. The current version of that is 1.33, and there's a beta out for it that's 2.0, but it's not actually the shader, just a config editor.

Also, I've added zer0's tweaks to the OP